Instructors' Certification Program
Instructors are essential to the training of riders and their horses for humane, safe, and skilled participation in the sport of eventing. Started in 2002, the USEA Instructors’ Certification Program (ICP) educates all levels of eventing instructors to confirm their knowledge base, both theoretical and practical, upon which they will continue to build throughout their teaching lifetime.
- Identifies essential training principles for riders and horses, drawn from time-tested sources and from experience with today’s competition challenges;
- Offers to instructors materials, workshops, and mentor opportunities that present these training principles in a developmental sequence;
- Certifies instructors at a specific ICP Level of teaching knowledge and proficiency, inviting them to continue to learn – and to achieve a higher level of certification, if they so desire;
- Supports enhancement of certified instructors’ knowledge and skill through ICP’s Continuing Education Program requirements;
- Provides an atmosphere of professional openness and support to all instructors so that on-going sharing and learning are facilitated.
To register with USEA’s Instructors’ Certification Program, ask questions, and/or obtain further information about ICP, contact Nancy Knight at email@example.com (703-669-9997) or Sue Hershey at firstname.lastname@example.org (412-963-6359), both located within the Eastern Time zone.
The ICP does not require a candidate instructor to enter the Instructors’ Certification Program at the lowest ICP Level. Rather, a candidate instructor determines which ICP Level best matches his/her highest level of teaching knowledge and skill based upon a self-evaluation of his/her own history of riding, competing, and learning/teaching. Then he or she attends the appropriate Workshop(s), receives feedback on his/her teaching from the Workshop(s) faculty member, and confirms the ICP Level at which he/she wants to be assessed at an ICP Assessment.
1.) ICP Levels Defined
2.) The Regular ICP Certificate and the Provisional ICP Certificate
3.) Segments of the Instructors’ Certification Program: ICP Workshops, ICP Assessments, and ICP Continuing Education