USEA/Shelby Allen Photo.
The USEA is on the ground in Unionville, Pennsylvania for Plantation Field International (PFI), also known as the "Best. Event. Ever!" The Plantation Field International CIC3* division serves as one of the 11 qualifying events in the 2018 Adequan USEA Gold Cup series.
- There are a total of 234 horses set to compete across the four divisions being offered at Plantation Field International this year: 22 in the CICY*, 59 in the CIC*, 106 in the CIC2* (split into A and B divisions), and 47 in the Adequan USEA Gold Cup CIC3*.
- Eight riders will compete with more than one horse in the CIC3*: Buck Davidson with four, Boyd Martin with three, and Phillip Dutton, Jennie Brannigan, Will Coleman, Kurt Martin, Jessica Phoenix, and Colleen Rutledge with two horses each.
- Buck Davidson makes up nearly 10% of the CIC3* division, riding Park Trader, Copper Beach, Carlevo, and Jak My Style.
- This will be Phillip Dutton and Mighty Nice’s first outing since winning the individual bronze medal at the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janiero.
- Mike Etherington-Smith has designed the CIC3* cross-country course, while Nina Fout designed the CIC* and CIC2* courses.
- Chris Barnard will design the show jumping courses for all levels.
- This year, proceeds from the event will go to benefit the Retired Racehorse Project, Chester County Food Bank, and Cheshire Land Preservation Fund.
- Volunteers at Plantation Field International will not only have the best seats in the house for experiencing all the action, they will also receive free admission to the event, cool T-shirts, and the chance to win awesome raffle prizes, including a $1,000 trip to next year's Kentucky Three-Day Event! To sign up to volunteer, visit eventingvolunteers.com.
- Admission is free on Thursday and Friday. General Admission tickets for Saturday and Sunday are $20 per carload. Friend of PFI VIP passes provide access to the sponsor tent and all the weekend’s activities for $500. Cross-country day hillside tailgaiting spots can be reserved for $175. All tickets can be purchased online on Plantation Field International’s website.
- Tailgaters at Plantation Field International will have spectacular views of the course for Sunday’s CIC3* cross-country phase of competition. Plus, enter the tailgate decoration contest for the chance to win a gift certificate to The Whip Tavern. The theme, in honor of PFI’s new partner, the Retired Racehorse Project, is “A Day at the Races!” More information is available online on Plantation Field International’s website.
- The 2017 Plantation Field International has been dedicated to showcasing the versatility of the Thoroughbred breed. The Saturday lunch break will feature a demonstration by horses that will compete in the 2017 Retired Racehorse Project Thoroughbred Makeover at the Kentucky Horse Park in October, and the inaugural Real Rider Cup sponsored by the Retired Racehorse Project will be held at lunch on Sunday, September 17. Teams of thoroughbred owners, trainers, jockeys, and veterinarians will be competing against each other over a course of show jumping fences to see who the "real riders" are!
- All are welcome to the VIP tent on Sunday for the CIC3* award ceremony and celebration party!
- 1:15 p.m - Dressage (CIC2*)
- 8:00 a.m. – Dressage (CIC*, CIC2*)
- 8:00 a.m. – Dressage (All Divisions)
- 8:30 a.m – Show Jumping (CIC2* and CIC3*)
- 9:00 a.m. – Cross-Country (CIC* and CIC2*)
- 9:00 a.m. – Show Jumping (CIC*)
- 9:00 a.m. – Cross-Country (CIC2* and CIC3*)
Follow the USEA event coverage on social media!
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
About the Adequan USEA Gold Cup Series
The 2018 Adequan USEA Gold Cup Series features 11 qualifying competitions throughout the United States at the Advanced horse trials and CIC3* levels. The qualifying period begins August 2017 and continues through August 2018 with the final taking place at the 2018 USEA American Eventing Championships at the Colorado Horse Park in Parker, Colorado, August 29 – September 2, 2018. Riders who complete a qualifier earn the chance to vie for $40,000 in prize money and thousands of dollars in prizes and the title of Adequan USEA Gold Cup Champion in the Adequan USEA Gold Cup Final Advanced Division.
The 2018 Adequan USEA Gold Cup Series is made possible through the support of its many loyal sponsors: Adequan, Standlee Forage, Nutrena, Merck Animal Health, and FITS.