Amber Levine and Carry On competing at Galway Downs International in 2015. Jessica Duffy Photo.
The West Coast’s fall CCI3* kicks off tomorrow morning at the Galway Downs International Event in Temecula, California with the first veterinary inspection at 9:00 a.m. sharp. In addition to the CCI3*, Galway Downs will also host CCI2* and CCI* international divisions as well as horse trials for Novice through Preliminary and USEA Classic Series Training Three-Day division.
- Just 10 horses will contest the CCI3*, while 15 will compete in the CCI2* and 38 will compete in the CCI*.
- 30 horse-and-rider combinations will experience the thrill of competing in a long format event in the USEA Classic Series Training Three-Day.
- An additional 223 starters will compete in the Novice, Training, and Preliminary level horse trials.
- Of the horses competing in the CCI3* at Galway, six also competed in the CIC3* at Woodside last month, including the division winners, James Alliston and Happenstance. This will be Happenstance’s first CCI3* since placing fifth at Jersey Fresh in 2015 with Matt Brown in the irons.
- Three of the horses in the Galway CCI3* will be making their first attempt at the CCI3* level: RF Kinetic with Ashlyn Dorsey, Betawave with Robyn Fisher, and LC O'Shawnisee with Andrea Neilsen.
- Three pairs have previously completed the Rolex Kentucky Three-Day Event: Lisa Marie Fergusson and Honor Me, Ellen Doughty-Hume and Sir Oberon, and Bunnie Sexton and Rise Against. Wundermaske and Ronald Zabala-Goetschel have also both completed Rolex, although not as a pair.
- Eric Winter is Galway Downs’ new cross-country course designer this fall, taking over from Ian Stark, who has been designing courses at the venue since 2007. Learn more about the changes taking place at Galway Downs in their press release.
- Show jumping courses for all levels will be designed by Marc Donovan.
- General admission tickets are $15 on Thursday and Friday and $19 on Saturday and Sunday. Patron’s Passes are $55 on Thursday and Friday and $75 on Saturday and Sunday and include access to ringside tent seating, breakfast and lunch, beverages, and a program. General admission tickets on Sunday will also provide standing-room access to the Leann Rimes concert following the competition at 5:00 p.m.
- 9:00 a.m. – First Veterinary Inspection (CCI*, CCI2*, CCI3*, T3D)
- 12:00 p.m. – Dressage (CCI*)
- 1:00 p.m. – Dressage (T3D)
- 8:00 a.m. – Dressage (Novice – Preliminary)
- 8:20 a.m. – Dressage (CCI2*)
- 10:45 am. – Dressage (CCI3*)
- 2:00 p.m. – Endurance Day (T3D)
- 8:30 a.m. – Final Veterinary Inspection (T3D)
- 8:30 a.m. – Show Jumping (Novice, Training, T3D)
- 9:30 a.m. – Cross-Country (CCI2*, CCI3*, CCI*, Preliminary)
- 8:00 a.m. – Final Veterinary Inspection (CCI*, CCI2*, CCI3*)
- 8:00 a.m. – Cross-Country (Training, Novice)
- 9:15 a.m. – Show Jumping (Preliminary, CCI*, CCI2*, CCI3*)
Follow the USEA event coverage on social media!
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
About the USEA Classic Series
The thrill of the 'chase lives on for those who want to experience the unforgettable rush of the classic long format three-day event!
Long-format events from the Beginner Novice to Preliminary levels are still a reality with the USEA Classic Series and include roads and tracks, steeplechase, and cross-country on "endurance day," as well as horse inspections. Educational activities are offered at the Classic Series Events. Visit the USEA Classic Series page to learn more about the Series.